Do you keep a journal? Have you ever wanted to? Maybe you do keep one, but it doesn’t really have a purpose. With this post, I aim to show you a wide range of things that you could use your journal for.

But before we get into that, I want to make something clear. Journaling is only a medium. It’s a method with which you can take control of your development, and of your life. But no development exercises are any good without application.

Journaling will give you clarity. It will give you answers. It will even show you the way. But once you have all of that, or better yet, while you are in the process of gaining that, you need to get off your behind, and DO THE WORK.

You need to apply everything you learn. You need to use it. Kaizen Journaling is not just about writing things down, and then forgetting about them. Kaizen Journaling is about living a Kaizen Life, and that comes from application.

I’m not going to just give you the reasons for why you should journal and leave you hanging at that. At the end of this post, you will also get a Free 8 pages long Guide with 101 Journaling Prompts that will keep you occupied, and let you experiment with many different reasons for using your journal.

Now that I’ve clarified that, let’s dive into all the reasons why you should keep a journal. This list is by no means exhaustive. If you think of more reasons, please share them in the comments.

77 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD KEEP A JOURNAL

17. Increase confidence
  18. Map your career
  19. Create a business plan
  20. Develop your writing voice
  21. Find your passions
  22. Follow your dreams
  23. Keep a character journal (for your fictional characters)
  24. Write fan fiction
  72. Discover thought patterns that have you trapped
  73. Go to your happy place
  74. Learn a language
  75. Be unashaemdly you
  76. Then strive to be the best version of you
  77. Live a Kaizen Life

To download your FREE 8 Pages long PDF GUIDE with 101 journaling prompts, please subscribe below. If you are already a subscriber, don’t worry you won’t be double subscribed. Just enter the same email address again, and you’ll be taken straight to the download page.

31 Responses to “77 Reasons Why You Should Keep A Journal + Free Guide with 101 Journaling Prompts”

1. Bobbi Emel June 20, 2012 at 23:26 # Reply

No, but really, Dolly – do you have any reasons why I should journal?

;-)

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 20:58 # Reply

Bobbi,

Sometimes bit over-the-top is necessary! No excuses now.

2. Kaylee June 21, 2012 at 00:35 # Reply

Okay Dolly, y’got me. I’m gonna open up livejournal. Riiiight now. :)

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 20:58 # Reply

Seriously? If that’s true, you made my day!

• Kaylee June 21, 2012 at 21:50 # Reply

Well I’m glad I could make your day then! :) I really did journal for a bit, and it felt damn good. I’m facing a particularly stressful situation right now – perhaps journaling would be a good way to work through that too. Thanks for inspiring me to get back to the page, Dolly.

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 22:36 # Reply

Kaylee,

That’s seriously awesome! Stressful times are definitely good times to start journaling. Enjoy the process.

3. Amit Amin June 21, 2012 at 02:59 # Reply

Oooh…. you’ve given me a good idea. I’m in the process of creating a mini-workbook as an attachment to a post, but I should require subscription. So evil :)

“If you think of more reasons, please share them in the comments.”
    lol. that just makes me laugh.

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 20:59 # Reply

Hey, communities don’t build themselves you know! It takes all kinds of effort :-))

LOL, I am sure there are many more reasons. No doubt I will think of some myself.

4. Blaze June 21, 2012 at 04:47 # Reply

Do the work, do the work, do the work—and keep writing! Great insights.

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 21:00 # Reply

Blaze,

Thanks. Yes, it always comes down to doing the work. Sometimes, I do wish it was easier, but then we probably wouldn’t value the rewards.

5. Claire Kerslake June 21, 2012 at 13:16 # Reply

Wow, Dolly – you’ve kinda blown away all my excuses!

Love it

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 21:00 # Reply

Claire,

That’s awesome! I hope you did some journaling ;)

6. Loran Hills June 21, 2012 at 16:37 # Reply

#78 It’s a healthy habit that can lead to wellness in all areas of your life!

7. Ciara June 21, 2012 at 23:17 # Reply

I think you had us all on number 1, well done for coming up with another 76 reasons!

• Dolly Garland June 21, 2012 at 23:47 # Reply

Ciara,

Your comment just makes me think of Jerry McGuire’s dialogue “You had me at hello” :-D

8. Jan June 22, 2012 at 03:28 # Reply

i hope you don’t mind if i skipped the long sentences to get to the short sentences?;):D<3<3<3

9. Jan June 22, 2012 at 03:31 # Reply

BTW, can you do a post about the numerous ways to set up a journal entry. I’ve always liked playing around with different schemes and setups, so I thought you should do one of journal entries. I’ve done my share of bulleted lists and random words, but do you know of or can you think of more?

Please reply!:D

• Dolly Garland June 23, 2012 at 15:17 # Reply

Jan,

Yes there are a lot of different ways to journal. No problem, I will be happy to do a post about it, with greater details. Stay tuned :-) Wherever possible, I’ll post some example pictures too.

• Jan June 25, 2012 at 01:59 # Reply

Thanks a bunch!

10. Margo DeGange, M.Ed. June 22, 2012 at 19:08 # Reply

Hi Dolly!

Wow, these 77 reasons are certainly all good ones. If someone wants to argue with the importance of journaling, these points make a great argument!

Now there is no excuse. We journal because it is really good for us!

Also, thanks for sharing the Guide with 101 Journaling Prompts. Very generous!

Hugs,

Margo

• Dolly Garland June 23, 2012 at 15:17 # Reply

Margo,

No problem. I love to share journaling joy :-) And yup….no excuses for not journaling.

11. Kathy McHenry June 23, 2012 at 16:29 # Reply

I’ve never been one to journal, but you have given me reason to rethink. Thanks

• Dolly Garland June 25, 2012 at 21:36 # Reply

Kathy,

That’s fabulous. Let me know if you give it a try.

12. Jane Robinson June 26, 2012 at 20:29 # Reply

Wow – what a wonderful list. I am definitely going to go back to my journaling after reading this post. Thank you.

13. Andrew June 28, 2012 at 00:47 # Reply

I have had a handwritten journal for the last 3 weeks or so, and can’t believe how much I have written, I also have a feeling that I am less stressed as a result.

• Dolly Garland June 30, 2012 at 01:46 # Reply

Andrew,

Yes it’s incredible how much difference a journal makes. I also find that it helps with stress, and actually getting your head clear too. Once you get writing, there is no stopping :-) So keep going.

1. 77 Reasons Why You Should Keep A Journal « ~Visceral Velocity~ - June 23, 2012

[…] on kaizenjournaling.com Share this:Like this:LikeBe the first to like this. Comments RSS […]

2. 16 Life Lessons I’ve Learned from Journaling | Kaizen Journaling - September 17, 2012

[…] is immense comfort in knowing you have a place – your journal – where you can offload anything that’s on your […]

3. Are You Embarrassed To Keep A Journal? – 4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be | Kaizen Journaling - October 22, 2012

[…] of conversation, they ask me about my journal. A lot of times, then they tell me that they also keep a journal, or that they used to, or that they wished they did. No one has ever told me, “What the hell […]