Are You Embarrassed To Keep A Journal? – 4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be

I must admit, this didn’t even occur to me until someone mentioned it. Then, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I thought, what if this is one of the things that holds people back. What if, this embarrassment is the reason why they are not utilising this super-powerful tool for success?

I decided, therefore, to address the issue here.

4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be Embarrassed to Keep A Journal

It intrigues people

The most common reaction I get from people is curiosity. They are intrigued to find someone writing in a journal, not scandalized. Think about it. In this day and age, how often do you find people scribbling in notebooks? Especially in public? Unless you are sitting in a café or museum or something, not so much. People find it curious and interesting. Some might even gather up the courage to ask you about it. Whenever I go on holiday, I have a travel journal with me. I carry it with me everywhere, and especially use commute time such as a bus ride to sight-seeing location to scribble.

Every time, people look at me, and eventually after we’ve made eye-contact, smiled and maybe had a few lines of conversation, they ask me about my journal. A lot of times, then they tell me that they also keep a journal, or that they used to, or that they wished they did. No one has ever told me, “What the hell are you doing that for?”

It’s an intellectual thing.

You are writing. Pages of it. You have thoughts that you are coherently putting into words, so you are clearly not an illiterate. When you see someone writing in a journal, it’s pretty difficult to think of them as stupid. It automatically gives the other person that feeling that you must have something worth writing about.

It is also not a very common thing, so it automatically marks you as someone unusual, and unusual often means interesting. Okay, some people just find it weird and don’t like it if you are different, but then those are the people you don’t want to worry about

It’s a conversation starter

After the earlier intriguing feature, some people would be brave enough to ask you, what is it and what you are writing. That gives you a good start to talk to new people. Maybe they want to keep a journal too, and you can give them a few pointers, or share your story. You never know what that conversation may turn out to be. You may be talking to your new best friend.

It’s Your Damn Business

This is the most important point. Take it as a test of your authenticity. Be yourself. If you want to journal, journal, and never mind what anyone else thinks.

11 Responses to “Are You Embarrassed To Keep A Journal? – 4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be”

1. Lori Lynn Smith October 24, 2012 at 01:03 # Reply

:) I love the end

It’s Your Damn Business

that is perfect and totally agree!

• Dolly Garland October 25, 2012 at 07:15 # Reply

Lori,

Thank you for taking the time to comment :-)

Be yourself…..yes that’s the most important thing.

2. Loran Hills October 24, 2012 at 04:10 # Reply

No, I’m not at all embarrassed and never even considered that someone else would be! Great post in case someone might be thinking twice about keeping one.

• Dolly Garland October 25, 2012 at 07:15 # Reply

Loran,

No I didn’t either until someone else mentioned it. I guess that’s why we are all different :-)

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

3. Amit Amin October 25, 2012 at 14:41 # Reply

Yeah, it never occurred to me to be embarrassed either. I’m definitely too embarrassed to have someone else read my journal, but not for them to know I’m keeping one.

• Dolly Garland October 29, 2012 at 07:31 # Reply

I think my first reaction to anyone else reading my journal would probably be anger.

4. Chris Edgar October 26, 2012 at 01:29 # Reply

It didn’t occur to me initially that it might be embarrassing for me to share with someone that I have a personal journal, but then again I think there are a few situations where I would feel that way — if, for example, I had to describe what was in my journal to my Dad for some reason. But maybe that’ll happen and be a growth experience. :)

• Dolly Garland October 29, 2012 at 07:32 # Reply

Chris,

That’s an interesting comment you made there. I bet you are not the only one. It probably will be a good growth experience ;)

5. farouk October 28, 2012 at 09:45 # Reply

keeping a journal is a great idea
    it helps me understand myself more and find better solutions to my daily problems

• Dolly Garland October 29, 2012 at 07:32 # Reply

Farouk,

Yes it absolutely does. Thanks for taking the time to make a comment.

1. Are You Embarrassed To Keep A Journal? – 4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Be | Kaizen Journaling | Holistic Coaching | Scoop.it - October 24, 2012

[…] The most common reaction I get from people is curiosity. They are intrigued to find someone writing in a journal, not scandalized. Think about it. In this day and age, how often do you find people scribbling in notebooks?  […]