Ask the Reader: Are You Creative?

Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things.

– Steve Jobs

Creativity can be applied to every aspect of life. From daily household tasks to parenthood; from day job to your own business; from painting a canvas to painting walls. The only thing that limits it is  your imagination and your belief.

Everyone, and I mean absolutely everyone, has the potential to be creative. Our natural interests and abilities may apply it differently, but you do have some form of creativity within you. A part of it is natural aptitude, but as with most things, a large part of it is application.

How often do you do things that force you to flex your creative muscles? How often do you make yourself push boundaries? How often do you make time to think outside the box?

So today, I want to know…Are you creative?

Leave your comments below. And if you feel like giving your creative muscles a serious but fun work out, then join us in the Meet My Muse course, starting November 1st.

9 Responses to “Ask the Reader: Are You Creative?”

1. MissDotty October 29, 2012 at 11:43 # Reply

Hi Dolly,

I try hard to be creative, whether in journals, craft, work or whatever. As a teacher a lot of thought is put into what creativity means and I love reading the debates in the education world! I also love the buzz I get when I am being creative but sadly I find when I am tired or feeling a bit frazzled that my creativity dims, just when I probably need it the most!

Miss Dotty

• Dolly Garland October 29, 2012 at 23:13 # Reply

Or it could simply mean that you just need to relax, recharge your batteries and give your creativity time to come back roaring :-) But I know how you feel. I find the same thing, and it’s really frustrating being tired or frazzled when you just want to do something.

2. farouk November 3, 2012 at 10:28 # Reply

i believe i am creative
    i get new ideas when i walk in a park or when i get closer to nature
    when i take breaks i start to get many ideas that i never got while i was busy

• Dolly Garland November 4, 2012 at 14:14 # Reply

Farouk,

Yes creativity often comes speedily when you give your permission to relax. It’s good that you are aware of your creative zones :-)

3. Akos Fintor November 4, 2012 at 03:57 # Reply

I think we are all creative to a certain degree. We can’t help it. I think is just a natural flow in human beings.
    But how creative we are; that’s a question in my opinion.

Awesome and though provoking post!

Thanks for the share, Dolly

Akos

• Dolly Garland November 4, 2012 at 14:14 # Reply

Akos,

I agree. Everyone is creative. The difference is only that many people don’t believe they are creative, or don’t know they are creative.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

4. farouk November 12, 2012 at 09:23 # Reply

here is how it works for me
    when i stick to routine i never come up with creative ideas
    when i free some time to think my mind helps me find lots of new interesting things to do

5. Andy Shackcloth December 18, 2012 at 20:11 # Reply

Now that is a fun little question to try to answer.
    Am I creative?
    Oh yes! Very much so.
    Well….. well at least one half of me is, the Andy part.
    But then that other half is very logical.
    Now what was he called? Oh, yes, Andy!

Err… hang on. If I’m Andy and I’m creative then how can I be that Andy and still be logical. Or… how can he be Andy yet still be creative??

I’m me, he’s he, I create, he logics (can I really say “logics”?) yet without him where/what would I be? Or, he without me?

Ah! maybe, just maybe…

Creativity-Andy-Logical

Maybe it’s Andy in the middle, maybe Andy connects them both.

Interesting question, “Are you creative?” The answer will depend on which part of you is reading.

1. Ending A Journal | Kaizen Journaling - November 9, 2012

[…] is a form of art. It’s a creative process, and whenever you create something, you become attached to it. Therefore, finishing a journal is […]