Ask the Readers: Do You Keep A Travel Journal?

As I am currently on vacation (in theory) and scribbling in my travel journal, I wondered where all of you Kaizen Warriors stand on travel journaling.

Travel journal is different from a regular journal. Usually, when you travel, you are immersed in new experiences. Whether it’s first time in a new place, different language, different culture, meeting strangers, trying new food, or simply sightseeing – you are usually doing things you don’t do at home.

The newness of these experiences means that you are sometimes feeling it all at a super-speed and have no time to process anything. Journaling can give you time and space for that. Though often, after you have experienced a whole day of amazing newness, you may just want to go back to the hotel and collapse on the bed. Some of my best travel memories have been the hardest to write about for that very reason.

In a regular journal, you may write about your day or you may write about your thoughts – all of which you still do in a travel journal – but because you are in a new place, in your travel journal, you also need to put emphasis on the setting. Unless you are a particular descriptive writer, chances are you don’t do that in your daily journal. I certainly don’t. Getting used to doing it in a travel journal may require deliberate practice, but the result is rewarding and gives you a better keepsake than any souvenir money can buy.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU

Have you ever kept a travel journal? Do you intend to keep one? Do you want to keep one but don’t know where to start? Share your answer in the comments below, and if you have some experience (successful or not) tell me all about it.

9 Responses to “Ask the Readers: Do You Keep A Travel Journal?”

1. Halo November 23, 2012 at 19:22 # Reply

Hi Kaizen! Happy vacationing :)

I got into journalling through travel-journalling.

I have a journal for each place and each big event I’ve been to and it was doing this at Witchcamps that got me into doing it for myself on a daily basis. It took me ages to work out the difference between journalling and a ‘dear diary, today I did…’ style and I’m much happier using my journals to process and ponder than I am to record everything… though when I travel both processes are handy.

I do find that I tend to get home with blank pages that just have placenames on them and the first few I did I didn’t fill them in soon enough when I got home. But there is space for photographs then! Recently I’ve discovered that I’m happy with just a ten minute bullet point list of what happened, rather than trying to write detailed chronological reports, to record events. Much easier.

I have found, though, that having a journal per event/trip, means I end up with lots of half-full journals, which seems like a waste, so I do try to revisit the ideas in them at a later date and write a bit more about where I’ve gotten to in myself since writing the original journey and what came up from then. My travel journals often end up becoming themes starting from the trip…

Happy Thoughts,
    ~Halo x

2. Evelyn Cruze November 23, 2012 at 20:50 # Reply

I have a travel journal. I call it Road Trip. It is a loose leave notebook. I also have one for being grateful and quotes that I started when I had my second round of chemo/radiology treatments for cancer. One bad days, I would read it to help me feel better.

3. Janis November 23, 2012 at 21:44 # Reply

My husband and I try to keep a travel journal when we travel because memory is fleeting. He does most (OK, all) of the daily details every night at the hotel and I fill in the things I remember (like what we ate). This is a great addition to our photographs. Many of the little things that we can remember that day are usually end up being more important to us that the big thinks. To say that we visited the Coliseum in Rome is nice and we enjoyed it (so did thousands of others) but to say we watched people walking their dogs one day while having lunch at a street-side cafe is a wonderful memory, too.

4. Lori Lynn Smith November 25, 2012 at 16:21 # Reply

Interesting enough, I don’t normally keep a journal about my travels, but I always journal well traveling.

it is like the noise of my brain is quieter so I can dig deeper into how I am feeling.

5. Carol in Maine November 28, 2012 at 13:58 # Reply

When ever I travel for family vacations I journal. I have many years of them. What we talked about, what happened, what sites we visited, etc. I keep crib notes every day so that when I get behind I can finish my journal. Works out well, the last 4 years I have been able to include photos (printed wallet size). My sister call me and asks who did what on such a such because she knows it was written down.

6. Joel Sadler January 4, 2013 at 08:45 # Reply

Do I ever! http://bound.is/american-made

7. cheap ralph lauren shirts August 16, 2013 at 02:48 # Reply

The idea of Men Ralph Lauren Customfit Mesh Polo Chocolate Mousse in a cheap are to gain in the fantastic definitely worth the inside substantial finish designer merchandise. Thus, shell out a small time and money on searching out the right shops. Beyond this concept accomplished, that you are riskfree sufficient from the counterfeits. There isn’t a necessitate to go for high finish branded apparel at whole value when you are able obtain them a reasonable. You can find the minimum cost and shop to discover reductions and substantialconclude bargains. You won’t save some money but they’re gonna in close proximity reaching become much a good deal Men Ralph Lauren Customfit Mesh Polo Chocolate Mousse, from the way, as you take out one particular particular outfit instantly following however yet another branded someone.

8. pc computer cleaner resource 419 September 4, 2017 at 10:04 # Reply

good posts,the good article haha!download free now

1. 5 Reasons You Should Go Travelling | Kaizen Journaling - July 27, 2013

[…] around with a backpack (though that is also a legitimate option). Travelling can be as personal as keeping a journal. No matter who you are, you will have your own unique travel style. And that’s fine. As long […]