Discover Your Why. Discover What Drives You.

Start with Why, that is the premise of Simon Sinek’s book of the same name. Start with your motivation, your purpose, and they will not lead you astray. When you first think about why you want to do something, the actions you take as a result of that, and how you do them, will be in alignment.

Your why, how and what will create a powerful trinity that propels you towards your dream, and at the same time closer to authenticity. Closer to being the person you are meant to be. Closer to living your purpose.

What is your why?

It is your intrinsic motivation. It is the thing that drives you. It is what fuels your passion. It is what gets you out of bed when you really would rather have five more minutes. It is your core reason for wanting the things you want.

I’ve been thinking about my Why for a while, though I didn’t exactly call it that. Since the beginning of Kaizen Journaling, I’ve shared my purpose for doing this. I even wrote a post to explain why Kaizen Journaling was about much more than journaling tips and techniques.

But since I read Start With Why, I’ve been digging deep, and I want to share my Why with you.

The why does not come from looking ahead at what you want to achieve and figuring out an appropriate strategy to get there. It is not born out of any market research. It does not come from extensive interviews with customers or even employees. It comes from looking in the completely opposite direction from where you are now. Finding why is a process of discovery, not invention.

– Simon Sinek

The process of discovery is a gradual one. I’ve been on that journey for a long time, and not surprisingly, the medium I use is journaling. After reading this book, when I specifically thought about my Why, it did not take long to come up with the answer because I’ve been discovering it for years.

My why is to be the best I can be, and to encourage others to do the same. It’s about inspiring people to create their Kaizen life. It’s about believing in individual potential. Happy and fulfilled individuals create a happy and fulfilled world. If each of us reached for the stars, if we reach for what we could accomplish, just imagine the sheer level of our collective potential.

Why do I care about individual potential?

I think each of us has a unique gift. Whether it’s a skill, a strength or a particular passion – we all have something, through which we can make our mark in this world. I believe, we owe it to ourselves and to others to use that strength and passion.

My strength is my passion and my drive to continuously push myself to be the best I can be. Both to achieve things, and also as a human being. My strength is to have complete belief and faith in the power of authenticity and in the power of individualism. Because I believe in it wholeheartedly, everything I do, and everything I want to accomplish is driven by that.

I choose to do things because they meet my why. Because they allow me to be authentic. Because they allow me to keep growing and keep learning.

That is my why, and so that is the gift I share with others. I encourage them to be their unique, authentic self, and keep growing and learning. I encourage them to live their Kaizen Life. This blog is also an avenue for that.

When you are clear about your why, when you know what motivates you and why you want the things you want, goals become easier. Tasks may be harder, and the time required to accomplish them may be long, but when you are clear about your why, your passion sustains you.

Why you want things is more important than what you want. Why you want things is more important than how you get them. What you want may change over time. How you want to achieve things may also change. But your why does not change.

Your why is a part of your personality. It stems from who you are, and that is why, as Simon Sinek said, why is not about invention. It’s about discovery.

To encourage each of you to discover your why, I’ve created a free Pdf worksheet that you can download. Simply enter your email address in the box below (if you are already subscribed, don’t worry, you won’t be double subscribed), and you will be taken to the download page.

17 Responses to “Discover Your Why. Discover What Drives You.”

1. Lori Lynn Smith July 19, 2012 at 14:15 # Reply

Dolly, you and I are on the same wave! Just yesterday I wrote down my why!

truly and amazing journey to re-discover your why!

• Dolly Garland July 23, 2012 at 17:37 # Reply

Lori,

The synergy of why is amazing. It’s one of those things where the more you spend time on it, and the more you get into it, the more opportunities you find to live it.

2. Chantal Beaupre July 20, 2012 at 12:44 # Reply

Very recently, I experienced an emotionally painful challenge in my business.

After the dust has fallen a little bit and that I regained some of my senses, I took the time to stop for about 48 hours and review my core values and my “why.”

Such an exercise is so powerful and healing — at least, that’s the experience I got from it.

Now I am back on the saddle again, ready to inspire the world and make it a better place!

• Dolly Garland July 23, 2012 at 17:38 # Reply

Chantal,

Sometimes, we just have to stop. I am one of those people who feel the need to keep pushing and pushing, but then eventually the break is required whether to adjust the course, or rediscover forgotten knowledge. That does more good than if we just kept pushing.

3. Priska July 21, 2012 at 05:57 # Reply

My why is that every creature great and small, including humans and nature have value. Sometimes that value is hard to see or understand. I do not know why, but it is important for me that everybody is aware of of this.

• Dolly Garland July 23, 2012 at 17:38 # Reply

Priska,

That’s good that you are clear on your why. It’s the clarity that you have that matters, because then you can align your life to live your why.

4. Amit Amin July 24, 2012 at 22:48 # Reply

When Scott posted about Simon I remember a lot of questions coming to mind. The same happened again. I’m going to have to read the book, because I’m not sure I agree with the premise.

• Dolly Garland July 26, 2012 at 23:31 # Reply

What is it that you disagree with? I would be curious to think what makes you feel that way, or if you think any differently once you have read that book.

5. Sarah | Holistic Hot Sauce July 29, 2012 at 00:16 # Reply

This is very timely for me. I keep pushing myself to do the goal setting and discover the ‘what’. As in where do I want to be in one year’s time. Although such exercises are valuable, they are somewhat redundant I realize, unless we are fully embracing the “Why.”

So – now I’m going to give that some serious thought. I have a feeling that once I articulate the ‘why’ the ‘whats’ and ‘wheres’ will seem more clear.
    Thanks, Dolly!

• Dolly Garland September 20, 2012 at 00:54 # Reply

Timing is everything, and I know only too well how valuable it could be to find the right information at the right time, so really glad this helped you.

How is your why coming along?

6. plus size holiday sweatshirts December 4, 2013 at 01:48 # Reply

I see something truly special in this internet site.

7. Adam October 15, 2015 at 05:01 # Reply

Your why is actually a what not a why. To be a why it has to be a belief. To be the best that you can be is a what you want to be. Why do you want to be the best that you can be. And why do you want others to do the same. So a why for you could be “I believe people have unlimited potential” or it could be “I’m a vessel to show people there unlimited potential” hope this helps…

• Dolly Garland October 23, 2015 at 11:29 # Reply

Adam,

Thank you for your response. While what you are saying is technically true – for me it is a why. I’m not talking about grammatical concept here. To be the best I can be and encourage others to do the same is my belief – and as I explain further as to why in the article, it’s connected to the belief in individual potential.

I completely see where you are coming from, but for now, this works for me, so I use it. If and when it changes or evolves, I will redefine it.

1. Discover Your Why. Discover What Drives You. | Kaizen Journaling | Journal For You! | Scoop.it - July 20, 2012

[…] Start with Why, that is the premise of Simon Sinek's book of the same name. Start with your motivation, your purpose, and they will not lead you astray. When you first think about why you want to do something, the actions you …  […]

2. Becoming A Polymath – My Personal Challenge | Kaizen Journaling - October 16, 2012

[…] but I have realised that I don’t need to. Having spent the last decade on self-awareness and self-discovery, I have a very clear idea of what I want to learn, what values are important to me, and what […]

3. Journaling Exercise: What Qualities Matter To You? | Kaizen Journaling - October 23, 2013

[…] Be discerning in your choice. Really think about what qualities matter to you. However, don’t stop there. For everything that matters to us, there is a reason as to why it matters. Once you have the list of qualities you desire, write about the why.  […]

4. Should You Follow Your Dreams or Your Heart? | Kaizen Journaling - April 21, 2014

[…] is a good thing, but what’s even better is following your heart. When you follow your heart, you are doing what is really right for you. It may not be right forever, but it is right when you make the […]