If You Get Bored, Your Life’s Not Right

medium_5679223548

image by ag2r

Boredom is the root of all evil – the despairing refusal to be oneself.

– Soren Kierkegaard

I honestly can’t remember the last time I was bored. It’s not a boast. In fact, if anything I can’t believe why there was an ever a time when I was bored. I don’t mean in a boring situation. I mean bored.

What’s the difference between being in a boring situation, and being bored?

If you are forced to be somewhere where you’ve no control over your activities, or the company you are with, then you are in a boring situation. This situation is temporary, and as soon as you escape it, you can go back to your non-boring life.

If you get bored, even when you have control over where to be, who to be with, and what to do, then this is the boredom with your life, and or with yourself. If this is the case, then you have a problem.

Being bored indicates you don’t know how to spend your time. Time is life. Therefore, being bored indicates you don’t know what to do with your life.

If you get bored when you are alone, that indicates your interest in life depends on other people, and you are not content in solitude. There is a big difference between solitude and loneliness. People who are able to be themselves are not afraid of solitude, because they have fulfilling relationships, but they also have interests, hobbies, and activities that keep them occupied when they are alone.

Boredom means you lack things to do with your time. When there is so much to do, so much to learn, so much to see, and so much to live for – this lack of things to do indicates lack of something in your life. Whether it means you have not yet made enough self-discovery, or lack the confidence, or are simply at a loss about your purpose in life, is irrelevant. It could be any or all of these things, or something entirely different.

The thing to be aware of is that if you are prone to being boredom then there is something amiss with your life, or simply with the way you are living it. Perhaps you don’t yet understand the value of it. Perhaps it hasn’t sunk in yet that every moment happens only once, and that if you spend a day being bored, that’s the day you are never going to be able to relive.

Boredom is a good indication that you need to examine your life, perhaps even spend some time on self-discovery. The more time you spend being bored, is more life you are dwindling away. It takes courage to admit it, but admit it now because the longer you take, more life you waste. Each moment, each hour, each day of your life is precious. You will only get it once. Make the most of it.

Do you get bored often? If so, why? Share in the comments below.

8 Responses to “If You Get Bored, Your Life’s Not Right”

1. Blair February 7, 2014 at 11:58 # Reply

No I do not get bored. I am often in borning situations sure. Yet I always have something to do. If anything I have more things to do then I can. Which is a good feeling to have options, to be able to change, and control my time and make it worth it. Great post.

• Dolly Garland March 3, 2014 at 10:03 # Reply

Blair,

Exactly. Boring situations may occur, but boredom should not.

2. Janis February 7, 2014 at 13:51 # Reply

Great post! My husband and I have been retired around 7 years and we were able to retire early. During these years, we have talked with many of our former work colleagues who just can’ imagine being retired — they would be so bored with nothing to do! We have never, in our lives had “nothing to do” — and in retirement, I feel more fulfilled with our volunteer work, the chance to read and to travel that I ever was when working. It really seems to be a matter of choice.

• Fransisca November 27, 2014 at 10:40 # Reply

I just retired 6 months ago and now I starting get boring stay at home, my husband not support me, some time i meet my colegious for lunch or coffee I really need friend to share with.
      I joint with bussinese community but only once every 2 months.
      What should I do to keep my life happy?

• Dolly Garland November 29, 2014 at 10:47 # Reply

Fransisca,

My suggestion would be to find some hobbies. Join a book club perhaps, or a knitting group, movie group or walking group – whatever it is that interests you. That way, you won’t have to rely on your colleagues from your old job, but instead you can make new friends who have similar interests.

3. Anonymous October 8, 2017 at 17:49 # Reply

“every moment happens only once”
    Oh, if only this were true. Alas it isn’t.
    Most people know how to get to work without consulting a map; because they know the route from driving it thousands, or hundreds of thousands of times. You can learn every possible route and path to work, and eventually memorize them all. After that, every commute is more or less the same; a predigested experience. Relationships can become much the same way. Living the same experiences over and over, whether going someplace we know, doing something we know, or interacting with someone we know. Eventually all experience becomes the same moments, lived again and again. I’m often bored, because regardless of novelty, it feels like repitition—repeated & regurgitated experience to chew like cud. Does this make sense?

1. Striving for a Secure Life? Look No Further… | Kaizen Journaling - April 4, 2014

[…] paths have you not travelled on, because you have stuck too hard on the path you decided to stick with because it’s secure? What potential rewards you have missed out on […]

2. Are You Surviving or Thriving? | Kaizen Journaling - June 1, 2014

[…] you even know? Or are you merely bumbling along, barely making a conscious decision about your life, taking wherever chance leads […]