Journaling Exercise: I Remember…

medium_5906784447

Whether you are trying to write your memoires, or simply attempting to remember the past, this journaling exercise will help. This will also help if you are going through a process of self-discovery, because memories play an important role in that journey.

This is a simple but powerful exercise. For the maximum results, do it for at least 10 minutes at a time, non-stop. That means, you must not stop writing. Write as fast as you can for 10 minutes straight.

There are only a few rules:

I Remember…

1. Start each sentence with this phrase, “I remember…”
  2. Be as specific as you can. “I remember the smell of magnolias outside the house.”
  3. Don’t worry about being chronological. If a memory of when you were five is followed by a memory of when you were thirty-five, that’s fine. Your mind will make its own associations.
  4. Don’t force memories. Just keep writing “I remember…” even if you end up repeating your previous sentence. Go with the flow, and let your subconscious direct the pen.

6 Responses to “Journaling Exercise: I Remember…”

1. Tennille Chase April 22, 2013 at 07:10 # Reply

I need to do this more. I love these exercises.

• Dolly Garland May 3, 2013 at 18:29 # Reply

Tennille,

Did you try it? how did it work for you?

2. Livia April 22, 2013 at 08:46 # Reply

I love this exercise, the memory flows directly into your hand and pen… An additional rule could be to begin your last sentence with “today”.

• Dolly Garland May 3, 2013 at 18:30 # Reply

Livia,

I’m glad you liked it. You are absolutely right. There are so many variations possible. That’s the beauty of these exercises that you can personalise them and amend them to suit you.

3. Alan April 22, 2013 at 10:43 # Reply

Love it Dolly –

Such a simple but effective tool to add to the toolkit. I will share this technique for sure with some of my “365’ers”.

Have an amazing day.
    Best,
    Alan

• Dolly Garland May 3, 2013 at 18:31 # Reply

Alan,

Thank you. Simplicity is often the most powerful and hard to achieve. I’m just looking through your 365 Effect website right now.