Journaling Exercise: The Stop Doing List

medium_6990128773

For a lot of people, the main reason why they don’t have enough time or money or resources to do what they want is because they spend all the time, money, and resources doing things they don’t want to do.

Please don’t give me excuses about  your responsibilities. For most people, it’s about the choices we make. Sometimes, to get what we want in one area, we have to make sacrifices in other areas. But at the end of the day, it is a choice. The more you take ownership of that, the more you would feel in control of making the choices that are right for you.

But to do that, first you need to focus on what you are going to stop doing.

In your journal, start a list of things you want to stop doing. Things that you hate, or find boring. Things that cost money that  you would rather spend on something else. Things that are against your values and beliefs.

Write fast, and keep going. Don’t worry about being practical, and most certainly don’t get sucked into feeling guilty. Think of this exercise as wishful thinking. If you were free to do what you wanted, what would you stop doing?

7 Responses to “Journaling Exercise: The Stop Doing List”

1. JoniB May 20, 2013 at 01:17 # Reply

I love this. Instead of the “to do” list that bogs us down with its great weight of guilt, this frees us by turning it around and seeing our lives from the other side. Great, great post Dolly!

• Dolly Garland May 31, 2013 at 02:01 # Reply

Joni,

Glad you found this useful. :-) Often the problem isn’t what we want to do, in fact for someone like me it’s never the problem. It’s usually how to find the time, energy, resources – and that we find, by NOT doing things that are no longer important.

• Tony Khuon June 4, 2013 at 19:02 # Reply

I love the stop-doing list advice from Jim Collins. Success might be a function of what you stop deciding to do. I pair it with a manageable, achievable to-do list every day to get results. Great post, Dolly!

2. Tennille Chase May 25, 2013 at 03:22 # Reply

Such a great post. I am about to start a new Journal today and was ready to write what I wanted to do, but I would love to try writing what I don’t. So when I find myself doing it I can say – a hell no- I want to be doing—-

• Dolly Garland May 31, 2013 at 02:02 # Reply

Tennille,

Fabulous :-) Just remember to have a “to-do” list in your new journal too. I believe there should always be positive things in one’s journal, to compensate for the negative.

3. Dawn Herring October 2, 2013 at 20:12 # Reply

Dolly,
    It is not often we focus on what we want to stop doing; usually we’re writing to do lists, bucket lists, or shopping lists, for that matter. This truly gives food for thought, discerning what it is we don’t like, etc. That’s why journaling is such an awesome practice; it can bring awareness where we didn’t have it before and enables us to create positive change!

Your post, Journaling Exercise: The Stop Doing List, has been chosen for #JournalChat Pick of the Day on 10/2/13; I will share a link on my website, in Refresh Journal, and on the social networks.

Thanks for giving us such an insightful starting point!

Our topic this week on #JournalChat Live is Your Journaling: A Mindful Mission.

Enjoy your day!
    Be refreshed,
    Dawn Herring

1. 5 Ways to Develop a Consistent Journaling Habit | Kaizen Journaling - June 19, 2014

[…] You can also use lists to do a free-writing exercise. If you want to instil a journaling habit, but don’t really know what to write everyday, then you could have a goal of just writing a list of 10 things that happened during your day, or 10 things you liked in your day, or just 10 random things. There are infinite ways to use lists.  […]