November Journaling Challenge: Day 10

medium_6354133627

image by safari_vacation

Welcome to the Day 10 of November Journaling Challenge. If you missed out on the earlier post, read the information about this challenge.

DAY 10 PROMPT – Security

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces towards change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

– Helen Keller

Do you agree with Helen Keller? What is your view of security? How much security do you crave? Is it stopping you from experiencing life? Is it stopping you from doing things you would like to do, but don’t because they seem risky?

What do you think will happen if you take the risk? What guarantees the current security in your life offers you?

For year-around journaling prompts, check out 365 Days of Journaling.

7 Responses to “November Journaling Challenge: Day 10”

1. Annette Agnello November 11, 2013 at 00:06 # Reply

Helen Keller had been through a lot but I find her view on security curious. I do not share her views. I have little interest in security beyond my cane.

• Dolly Garland November 12, 2013 at 06:55 # Reply

Annette,

Based on your comment here, it seems in agreement with Keller. She is saying that security is an illusion. It doesn’t really exist.

2. Bakari November 11, 2013 at 04:19 # Reply

I tend to disagree with her as well. I’m not sure what type of risks she’s referring to. Often times people can’t pursue their dreams because they lack the finances or other obstacles that they don’t have the full power to overcome.

• Dolly Garland November 12, 2013 at 06:56 # Reply

If people lack finances to what they want, isn’t it up to them to find those finances? What about all these people who manage to make things happen, even though they are not rich. But they find a way, even through most unusual means.

It’s not about particular types of risk. It’s anything that is a risk to you. Do you risk losing what is stable in your life, for the pursuit of something you want to do (even though there is a big chance you may fail?). That is the ultimate question.

3. Susan Godwin November 11, 2013 at 17:14 # Reply

Most of my adult life I lived as a “daring adventure” and was totally fearless. I bought my home in 1979; it’s in a rural area surrounded by trees, a large lake in the back, and few neighbors. In June of 1995 I chose to get off drugs and alcohol as they were consuming my life. About this time of year in 1995 I was awakened to the sound of rustling leaves; it was 2:30 AM. For the first time in my life I experienced terror and my heart was pounding. I realized I was completely unprotected. The next day a friend put locks on my doors and took me to a gun shop where I purchased a small gun. He also built fences so there was no access to my backyard. Now I feel secure and grateful not to be living like “a free spirit!”

• Dolly Garland November 12, 2013 at 06:59 # Reply

Isn’t that the security of only the external kind though? That someone may not come in your house and attack you because you can shoot them. But there are all different kinds of risks, and most of us (certainly non-Americans as we don’t have the gun culture for average citizens) when we think about risk, are referring the risks as they pertain to our lives, financial, social, risk that you are not living your purpose, or that you may wake up and realise you haven’t made much of your life, or didn’t follow your dreams etc.

Having locks on the door and a gun can’t protect you from those risks.

• Susan Godwin November 12, 2013 at 15:53 # Reply

Thank you for your response as I will redirect my thinking on this. I have certainly taken financial risks that failed. There were opportunities offered to me I wished I’d taken. For the most part I am content with the life I’ve led and for the present I am considering your suggestion of where I am now both physically and mentally.