November Journaling Challenge: Day 2

large_3548722329

image by paalia

Welcome to the Day 2 of November Journaling Challenge. If you missed out on the earlier post, read the information about this challenge.

DAY 2 PROMPT – Enriching Your Mind

Self-education is important. When you stop learning, you stop growing. It’s nothing to do with age, or how busy you are. If you are not making at least a little bit of time to enrich your mind, you are cutting off your potential.

For today’s journaling, write about the things you do on regular basis to enrich your mind. Do you read good books, listen to podcasts, talk to people who broaden your horizons? What enriches your mind?

You can also write about new ways to enrich your mind more, or do more of what you are already doing.

For year-around journaling prompts, check out 365 Days of Journaling.

12 Responses to “November Journaling Challenge: Day 2”

1. Bakari November 3, 2013 at 00:26 # Reply

Thanks for the prompt, Dolly. Here’s my response:

From the early days of learning magic tricks and tinkering with electronic kits from RadioShack, to starting a videography and photography business, I have always engaged in learning something new. Though of course learned a lot by attending college and ultimately earning a teacher’s credential, I’ve always had side projects and subjects of interest that went beyond school and my job. For all of my adult life I have been an avid reader — mainly of intellectual, political left books, and mostly serious novels. Reading has always nourished my curiosity about life and how we treat one another in it. Outside of books I like to learn new Mac and iOS software, and I have several podcasts that I download on my iPhone which cover topics including Mac computer tips, atheism in the freethought community, and progressive politics.

If I had the time and money there is so much more I would love to learn, including computer and iPhone app development, travel photography, gourmet cooking, playing the piano, and how to fly a Cessna airplane. It is difficult for me to see some people I know never taking the opportunity to learn new things. They squander their time either watching television or devoting most of their life to working a job to bills.

Though I don’t consider myself an artist, I do have the passion of an artist for many things that I have learned. That’s why I look forward to retirement, so when I’m no longer working a daily job, I can spend more time learning new things.

• Dolly Garland November 3, 2013 at 04:39 # Reply

Bakari,

Great response. I think we are all artists in one way or another. Being an artist doesn’t necessarily mean that you make money from it, or be praised for it. Being an artist simply means that you create things – whatever they may be – that are your own.

• Bakari Chavanu November 3, 2013 at 19:31 # Reply

Dolly, thanks for your response. The reason I don’t always see myself as an artist is because I don’t engage in artistic pursuits as much as I would like. And I don’t always feel devoted enough to anything artistic to call myself an artist. I haven’t taken the kinds of risks in my life to really grow as an artist. Hope that makes sense.

2. victor November 3, 2013 at 01:12 # Reply

when it comes to learning I am a life time learner

• Dolly Garland November 3, 2013 at 04:39 # Reply

That’s the only way to be Victor :-) Lifetime learner.

3. Stacey November 3, 2013 at 01:25 # Reply

Daily journalling done! Two downn – how’s everyone else doing?

4. Annette Agnello November 3, 2013 at 02:24 # Reply

My husband spent all day trying to get his laptop cleaned out for my use. He does nearly all his computing on his phone these days.

To answer the prompt. I start each day with my daily Bible reading. book At noon I take a book to lunch. Evenings are for computer time after the cooking.

• Dolly Garland November 3, 2013 at 04:40 # Reply

Annette,

hope your computer’s in working order now. Reading is definitely one of the best ways to enrich one’s mind.

5. Rena Tucker November 3, 2013 at 07:18 # Reply

a hard question to answer,
    not because of what I do,
    but who I am.
    because
    without it
    I fear
    I would cease
    to exist.

6. Susan Godwin November 6, 2013 at 17:25 # Reply

The first things I jotted down were reading, playing word games, researching “stuff” on the computer, attending meetings, and taking classes. Upon reflection, for me, it’s about being curious about so many interests.

7. Kate April 14, 2014 at 14:51 # Reply

My favorite part of music is how much there is to learn. There is so much out there that it takes a lifetime just to learn one instrument. If you get bored of one instrument or want variety, you can switch instruments. Or genres. Even just within classical music there is so much to work with. Playing music from symphonies was the earliest exposure I had to classical music. In college I played in my first opera, which was a new learning experience. I’ve also played in ballets and that is a new learning experience. I’ve always had a special love for playing in musicals. But the interesting thing about doing any of these is that if I repeat anything, I can switch from first to second violin and have to learn a whole new part, and playing viola that gives me greater variety with what I can be playing. For me my favorite part of playing music is learning the history behind the pieces. I love Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz because of the history behind the piece and the story that the piece tells.
    I have an interest in information in general. Though music is a specialty for me, I love information from any subject. My homepage is National Geographic and I’m always learning from that. When I have time I watch TED talks and I love the variety of subjects those talks cover. I think this love of information is what leads me to wanting to be a librarian. I feel like being a librarian will allow me to help others find information in various subjects and from there I can learn something in the process as well. There’s so much that I want to learn. Languages, cultures, history, mythology, constellations of stars. I’m fine with being a generalist, as long as there always is something to learn about.