November Journaling Challenge: Day 5

medium_5895015799

image by whltravel

Welcome to the Day 5 of November Journaling Challenge. If you missed out on the earlier post, read the information about this challenge.

DAY 5 PROMPT – The Desert Island Question

You may have thought about this question at some point, but in today’s journaling entry, I want you to give it some serious thought.

If you knew you were going to end up alone on a desert island, and could only take 5 personal items (forget about the essentials, we’ll assume you are going to acquire Robinson Crusoe like skills and build yourself a pretty house), what would you take?

These items must be things that are not essential for you to be alive, but they may enhance your emotional well-being or bring you pleasure or offer you knowledge. You could pick books, your diary, personal mementos such as a photograph, your grandmother’s bracelet…..whatever. Use your imagination. Really think about what is so important to you that you wouldn’t want to part with it.

For year-around journaling prompts, check out 365 Days of Journaling.

6 Responses to “November Journaling Challenge: Day 5”

1. Bakari November 5, 2013 at 20:50 # Reply

1. iPad filled with family photos, ebooks, and videos, and of course Day One for journal keeping.

2. Laptop computer with more content, and an external hard drive with at least 15 gigs of music on it. Hopefully there would be electricity (lol).

3. Digital camera and lots of memory sticks.

4. Lots of art supplies and paper for drawing and painting.

5. A powerful telescope to study the stars for the first time in my life.

• Dolly Garland November 6, 2013 at 02:24 # Reply

That’s just cheating :-)

The idea is to limit it to 5 actual items, as in only 5 items you can enjoy, not computers and cameras so that you could have essentially everything. The point of the exercise is to make you think about what’s truly essential.

• Bakari Chavanu November 6, 2013 at 05:47 # Reply

Okay, you’re saying be more specific. I misread it.

1. Miles Davis’s_Kind of Blue_ album
        2. A notebook of blank pages to draw
        3. Tolstoy’s War and Peace
        4. My camera
        5. Family photo album

2. Annette Agnello November 6, 2013 at 03:13 # Reply

Do I have to be alone on that island? For five items I would have to have my Bible, my journal, my paints and sketchbooks, perhaps my Kindle, with about 1000 books. That should keep me occupied for a while.

3. Rena Tucker November 6, 2013 at 07:22 # Reply

What’s really cool about this prompt is that it made me realize how few things I truly want or need.

Right now, I can think of only two things:

1) All my Buddhist books so I can contemplate deeply while I spend my days alone on the island.

2) My caique (small parrot), Robbie. (Hey, it’s not far-fetched! He loves to go places, has his own travel cage, and we take him with us whenever we can.) That little bird brings me so much joy!!! I would definitely want him on the island with me.

If I think of 3 more things, I’ll post them, but right now, I’m completely happy with just my Buddhist books and my bird. :-)

4. Susan Godwin November 6, 2013 at 17:11 # Reply

The first two things came to me quickly: a pen with unlimited ink and a journal with 1,100 lined pages. I have to admit I “stole” two from Bakari: the telescope and large photo album of family and friends. Oh my, only ONE book to choose and I decided on A Course in Miracles by Marianne Williamson.