What Should I Write in My Journal

large_2956633485

What should I write in my journal?

Generally, it’s a question asked by those who are new at journaling. But even regular journal keepers want to know what ELSE they can write in their journals.

In this article, I’m going to mention just some of the things you could write in your journal. Possibilities are endless, but hopefully these ideas here will get your creative juices flowing.

45 Things You Can Write In Your Journal

1. Write about  your day.
  2. Write about your feelings.
  3. Write about your family relationships
  31. Write about your happiest and saddest moments
  32. Write about your friends and importance of friendship
  33. Write about your insecurities
  34. Write about your self-development ventures
  35. Write about the topics you wish you knew more about
  36. Write about current news
  37. Write about new experiments, such as an attempt to develop new habits like becoming a vegetarian for 30 days
  38. Write essays
  39. Brainstorm assignments or stories or screenplays
  40. Write letters
  41. Get philosophical and attempt to answer question of Life
  42. Write about your religious or spiritual beliefs
  43. Write about your political beliefs
  44. Talk to your favourite fictional characters
  45. Write about your perfect day-out with family/friends

13 Responses to “What Should I Write in My Journal”

1. Carol January 15, 2013 at 01:09 # Reply

Excellent list! I’m going to print it out and stick it in the front of my new journal. :-)

• Dolly Garland January 16, 2013 at 01:45 # Reply

Carol,

Great :-) Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing about your new journaling experiments.

2. Teresa R January 15, 2013 at 01:54 # Reply

Great list! I use a lot of these when I write in my journal; I will print out the list so I can use the ideas I had never thought of until you listed them. Thanks!

• Dolly Garland January 16, 2013 at 01:46 # Reply

Teresa,

Thanks :-) Always great to try new things in journaling.

3. Dawn Herring January 15, 2013 at 02:12 # Reply

Dolly,
    I like the broad spectrum of topic ideas you provide here. Two of my favorites are 28 and 29 since people are a vitally important dimension of our lives. It’s important to be more aware of the positives and negatives in relationships and being decisive toward our well being. Your happiest and saddest moments are often great starting points for journal writing since they give you a clue as to what works for you right now. We can learn so much about ourselves with these simple focal points!

I have chosen your post, What Should I Write in My Journal, for the #JournalChat Pick of the Day on 1/14/13 for all things journaling on Twitter; a link will be posted on the social networks, on my blog and website Refresh with Dawn Herring, and in my weekly Refresh Journal:http://tinyurl.com/b8f9bys.

#JournalChat Live is every Thursday, 5 EST/2 PST, for all things journaling on Twitter; our topic this week is Your Journaling: Take Action!

Thanks again for this great list of ideas for our journaling journey!

Be refreshed,
    Dawn Herring
    Host of #JournalChat Live and Links Edition on Twitter
    Author of The Birthday Wall: Create a Collage to Celebrate Your Child

• Dolly Garland January 16, 2013 at 01:47 # Reply

Hi Dawn,

I agree. Emotionally intense periods often prompt journaling, but that’s why it’s important to also keep that feeling during “normal” periods

4. Kathy McHenry January 16, 2013 at 13:56 # Reply

Journaling has always felt like keeping a diary to me. Which has had me thinking I need to write about my day. This list changes my thinking and I thank you for that.

• Dolly Garland January 27, 2013 at 05:31 # Reply

Kathy,

That’s a pretty common misconception. Keeping a diary is simply one form, and a basic form at that, of journaling. This is simply a glimpse of what you could do with a journal, so hope you experiment with that.

5. Margo DeGange, M.Ed. January 17, 2013 at 04:33 # Reply

Dolly this is a very thorough list, and I think at one time or another I have written about many of these in my journals, and now—since seeing this list—I will revisit some of them!

With your list here, you make it easy for anyone, especially someone new to journaling, to even create a monthly theme around which to write.

Thanks for a great list and lots of ideas!

Margo

• Dolly Garland January 27, 2013 at 05:47 # Reply

Margo,

Thank you. I hope that when people do get stuck about what to write in their journal, they can simply use this for quick inspiration.

6. honna October 22, 2013 at 22:24 # Reply

I literally just bought a journal 2day and used the idea of the picture at the top of the page 4 inspiration. I want fo write and draw in it and my mum got a journal 2. We find ur list very helpful indeed. Thanx.

1. Organized Journaling: Date Your Entries | Kaizen Journaling - October 21, 2013

[…] can be creative. It can be an expression of your creative self – in whatever way you […]

2. Journaling Exercise: Finding Many Uses for Your Journal | Kaizen Journaling - January 4, 2014

[…] you are a beginner journal keeper, I have done an in-depth article about what to write in your journal, which I recommend you read first. The purpose of this exercise is slightly different. Whether you […]