Photo by Matt Seymour on Unsplash
Let’s get straight into it. You are in lockdown, or in a semi-lockdown. You are spending a lot more time with yourself and in your own head. You want to journal, but don’t know what to write about or how to get started. No problem. These prompts will get you going. Just pick one at random, or use them in order. Use multiple prompts in the same session or do one a day. It doesn’t matter. Just go with it, and enjoy the process.
- Have you enjoyed spending time in your home during the lockdown? Why or why not? Be specific and focus on the details and on your feelings. What do you like or dislike about your home or the people you live with? Are your surroundings comfortable? Do you crave more company or do you find this relative solitude refreshing?
- How have you used the lockdown time so far? All the time that you might have spent going to work, school, meeting friends, socialising, what have you done with it instead?
- What is the one new thing you’ve learned during this lockdown? This can be anything?—?a skill, or a new way of doing things. For example, I acquired a whole new level of cooking skills and actually learned to enjoy cooking. Perhaps you learned a new language or learned to bake bread, or maybe you learned how to use Zoom. Whatever it is, write about it. How do you use it? Do you enjoy it? Were you forced into learning it?
- How do you feel about how your government and the governments across the world have handled lockdown? Do you keep tabs on government updates? How does that make you feel?
- Do you think other people are going through the same experience? Or is everyone’s experience different depending on their personal situation?
- How long did it take you to set into “the lockdown mode”? Have you settled in now?
- Do you feel anxious about having to resume a normal life, or are you excited? What about the “new normal” of wearings masks, cleaning hands, and maintaining social distance?
- Has this lockdown made you reevaluate any part of your life? What changes are you going to make as a result of that?
- Has this lockdown made you reevaluate your relationships? What changes are you going to make as a result of that?
- How do you feel on most days? Are you worried? Anxious? Are you feeling positive? What are you thinking about? What are you focusing on?
- Do you exercise regularly during the lockdown? What exercise do you do? How does that make you feel?
- How do you feel about video calls? Do you spend a lot of time on them? Are they a good replacement for social contact? Or merely a useful work tool?
- Do you wear a mask when you go out? How do you feel about it?
- Think about the person you were in February. Has anything changed since then? Do you feel that when the world does return to normal, you will do things differently than you did before?
- What are you grateful for? List at least 10 things, and explain why.
- Who has made you laugh during this lockdown?
- What books/tv shows/films have you enjoyed?
- What do you miss the most about not being able to go out?
- Are there any aspects of lockdown life that you see as positives? (i.e. not having to commute on a crowded tube)
- What is the one lesson you have learned? It can be a lesson about the world, about life, or just about yourself and how you want to do things.
Action you can take today
Grab a pen and a journal and start journaling with these prompts. Whether you use them in order or at random, doesn’t matter. Just journal and enjoy the process.